It however has a lot of negative side effects (as well as a TON of hoops to jump through if you are a woman because of the severity of birth defects if you are to become pregnant) which is why it is often a last resort for most people, including myself. If you are curious, these are the most reported side effects of taking Accutane:
- Severely dry, itchy skin
- Extremely chapped lips
- Dry Nose, nosebleeds
- Dry Mouth
- Inflammation of the whites of the eyes
I have struggled with acne for over ten years now, and tried basically everything on the market. Don't get me wrong, things work as far as making my skin clean, but with no product other than Proactiv (which stops working after like 6 months btw) has ever really cleared up my skin.
So I turned to my last resort, Accutane. Holy smokes. Two days in I already saw a difference -
- Chapped Lips / Your lips dry out really fast- Aquaphor has literally become my best friend. I have to have it at all times.
- Water, water, water! / I'm always thirsty - So I've begun really drinking water probably more often than I ever have. You have to remember to keep drinking water so that you don't get dehydrated because it is very easy!
- Oil Production / My skin has really dried out, which is a warm welcome for my normally oily-slick face!
- I have broken out a bit through the weeks, but nothing super serious. The one thing I really have noticed is that when you do get an active breakout, it is much more painful than normal.
A lot of friends have already told me they've seen an improvement already but personally I haven't noticed too much. I will be posting photos at the end of my treatment, let me know if you guys have any questions!
PS - if anyone has gone through it already please leave advice I definitely need it! Thanks!